Sculpture/Bronze sculpture foundry marks

I recently purchased a pair of bookends by Brenda Putnam entitled Cute Girls. When looking at comparisons photos I noticed that mine is missing year after the symbol and the foundry mark while the same text is in a different style.  I was wondering if it was common for foundries to use different stamps or dies on the same piece and if a year or copyright date could be missing.  Thank you

Hey Luke.  Hard to say. Everyone does things differently.  It might just be that they are viewed as a set, so the foundry may not have felt the need to mark both of them.  You'd really have to get in touch with the foundry in order to answer that question.  

Matt Ramieri

I can answer questions in reference to bronze casting (the lost wax process & copper alloys) & finishing. I can also answer questions about sculpture in general including: armature building, clay construction (plastalines and oil-based clays), fabrication, TIG arc welding (including aluminum), metal chasing and finishing, patination, and wax sculpture construction (including modeling waxes, casting waxes, and sprue waxes). I also have a limited knowledge of copyright law as it pertains to the fine art maker and his/her work. I do not claim to have any particular knowledge in the fields of bronze art antiquities and their values, or the value of work created by specific artists or their processes.

I have been working with bronze for over a decade and a half. I studied the lost wax process in college, went on to study the art abroad in Cortona Italy, and continued as an apprentice at the Johnson Atelier in Trenton, NJ. My love for the medium carried me on to take it up professionally. Now, I produce my bronze work and the work of others with my own company: "Inspired Bronze Inc".

Inspired Bronze, Fine Art America

Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor degree of Fine Arts (BFA) from the University of Hartford Art School University of Georgia Studies Abroad Program graduate: Cortona, Italy Johnson Atelier School of Sculpture apprentice program graduate: 1st Class Apprentice

Charles Salsbury Award (artistic excellence) "Mostra" exhibit-Cortona, Italy, Orlando Museum of Art-1st Thursdays exhibit, exhibited in AIDS benefit show 97, '98, 3rd place in ArtWorks Gallery juried exhibiton 99, University of Hartford Grant recipient for four years