Sculpture/lion bas reliefs

Question
I am doing some research on a concrete bridge in Illinois that has lions in high bas relief on the

bascules. It was built in 1906 and we are applying for national register status. My question is

if the reliefs are artistic in quality or just some craftsman quality decoration. If you search:

(hoffman estates lion bridge )a site called historic bridges will come up with a digital photo

array of the bridge. Any feedback you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Randy

Answer
Hi Randy

I'm not sure that I fully understand the question.  Are you asking whether or not the lions were sculpted by an artist, or produced from some existing mold?  

I couldn't tell you if they are/were available for other purposes, but they were certainly sculpted by an artist at some point.  The likelihood is that they were sculpted out of clay or plaster, then molded and cast in concrete.  

Sculpture

Matt Ramieri