Search Engine Optimization/SEO and redirects

Question
Hi Kelly,
Soon, I'm having a site built for a job search engine. I bought several domains already. I wanted to have one main site with another related domain redirecting to the main site. For instance, if my main site were heartdisease.com, I would redirect arterydisease.com to it. The point is for people who search for artery disease to find my site. My concern is that search engines will penalize me for thinking I'm trying something unethical like manipulating backlinks or something. Is there some way to do these redirects without getting penalized in my rankings?

Answer
Search engines are taking a new approach to duplicate content, you no longer get penalized for duplicate content BUT they won't rank the same site more than once if it has the exact same content. This is true for at least Google.

On the other side if you are providing unique information on these domains that have different names but all link together you will create a nice solid network. Keep in mind that the searches can analyze the links and can figure out if all the sites are part of the same network. i recommend going forward with what you are doing but make sure you link to a few sites not only your main site and also make sure that not all the satellite sites link to each other so a traceable network isn't obvious.

Always remember content is key and usually what is best for your "real" users is also best for the engines.

Search Engine Optimization

Kelly Darwin