Search Engine Optimization/2 sites same search terms GOOGLE happy>?

QUESTION: if i have 2 websites coming up for same search terms on the same page is google NOT happy with that?  lets say i sell business cards and stamps and booklet printing on site 1  and then i set up a separate website for just business cards but on that business card site i have a link to pay on the other site...(so the sights are sort of linked) is google going to penalize me because i show up for on 2 separate sites for the same search terms, thank you.

ANSWER: It's generally not a good idea to try to get two sites you own to rank for the same keywords. There are times when it's ok, and in your scenario above that can work, but it's a gray area. However if it's working then I wouldn't worry about it until Google does something.

The link shouldn't be an issue if it's a payment link. Those links are typically in the shopping cart areas of sites where Google doesn't generally go.

QUESTION: what if its NOT a payment area but points to the a list of items.. that then go to the payment

As long as its legitimate, then I wouldn't worry about it. The two sites are doing different things with crossover in one area. I'd start to be concerned if you build a site for every service the other site already does.

Usually, you're better off putting all of your marketing efforts into a single site, so you are handicapping yourself by splitting them up. But if it's working then you're probably OK, at least for now.

Search Engine Optimization

Stoney deGeyter

Any questions regarding search engine optimization (SEO) and website marketing. I can answer specific questions regarding keyword research, link building, website development, website usability, and social media, as well as general small business questions.

I have been working in the Search Engine Optimization and Marketing industry since 1998. I run a successful website marketing company that employs an elite team of SEO/SEM professionals.

Member of the Better Business Bureau and Reno-Tahoe Young Professionals Network

Author of two Website Marketing Books: E-Marketing Performance: Effective strategies for building, optimizing, and marketing your website online, and Keyword Research and Selection: The definitive guide to gathering, sorting and organizing your keywords into a high-performance SEO campaign. Regular contributing author at a wide variety of Search Engine Optimization and Marketing websites, including Search Engine Guide, Search Engine Land, ISEdB, WebProNews, and EzineArticles

While no official credentials exists in our field I have written numerous SEO articles and tutorials that are published in highly traffic SEO sites, blogs and forums.

I am frequently asked to speak at Search Engine conferences nationwide, including SEMpdx, Webmasterworld's PubCon and Small Business Marketing: Unleashed.

We have clients throughout the US and some in Canada.