Search Engine Optimization/2 sites same search terms GOOGLE happy>?

Apex Action wrote at 2014-11-12 03:20:55
It should be fine; the search engine's job is the satisfy the intent of the query and if your websites both are relevant for the same term.

Though you may not be penalised, it is entirely feasible to believe that only one of these web properties would best satisfy the intent than the other property may shift down the results after manually review from the Search Quality Team.

If your term isn't particularly competitive, not only would you not be penalsied for ranking two websites for that term but it is entirely possible to 'flood' the entire results page with your website. This a good thing; you have satisfied the user's intent for a keyword by creating the most relevant content on the planet for the search user.

As an aside to penalties: there are typically two types of penalties for Search Engines Results:

* Sandboxing

* Deindexing

Sandboxing - this would be a sudden drop in search engine results for a domain; your website has gone from Page 1 to ~page 5 and will likely be here for the next 3-6 months. This is perfectly natural for new websites with an unusual link velocity; that is the sudden growth of external links is unusual - relative to website age, typical industry search terms etc. If you maintain your existing pace in your SEO efforts this penalty will resolve organically.

Deindexing - Your website is removed from the index; that is it will no longer show in Google's search (even for the query). This is a result of instances such as backlinks from content farms, copyright violation and unusual link velocity (sudden rise and drops in backlinks). You may complain to Google; however response times are slow. This would be a disaster situation and worse-case scenario you may need a new domain and 301 your existing domain to the new website.

Do not pursue SEO efforts under fear of coercion of a penalty; it's Google's job to showcase your website, not your job to do it for them.  

Search Engine Optimization

Stoney deGeyter

Any questions regarding search engine optimization (SEO) and website marketing. I can answer specific questions regarding keyword research, link building, website development, website usability, and social media, as well as general small business questions.

I have been working in the Search Engine Optimization and Marketing industry since 1998. I run a successful website marketing company that employs an elite team of SEO/SEM professionals.

Member of the Better Business Bureau and Reno-Tahoe Young Professionals Network

Author of two Website Marketing Books: E-Marketing Performance: Effective strategies for building, optimizing, and marketing your website online, and Keyword Research and Selection: The definitive guide to gathering, sorting and organizing your keywords into a high-performance SEO campaign. Regular contributing author at a wide variety of Search Engine Optimization and Marketing websites, including Search Engine Guide, Search Engine Land, ISEdB, WebProNews, and EzineArticles

While no official credentials exists in our field I have written numerous SEO articles and tutorials that are published in highly traffic SEO sites, blogs and forums.

I am frequently asked to speak at Search Engine conferences nationwide, including SEMpdx, Webmasterworld's PubCon and Small Business Marketing: Unleashed.

We have clients throughout the US and some in Canada.