Secondary School Educators/English/grammar/structure

Question
Dear Dan,

Which is the correct way to write the sentence?

That they had no representatives in Parliament was seen as a violation of their rights as Englishmen.

A     Because they had no representatives in Parliament was seen as a violation of their rights as   Englishmen.
B     If they had no representatives in Parliament was seen as a violation of their rights as Englishmen.
C     No representatives in Parliament was seen as a violation of their rights as Englishmen.
D     Correct as it is

The answer is suppose to be D but I do not understand why.  The answer has to do with parallel structure, but I do not see how that is correct.

Answer
I can't claim to be an expert, but here's how I see it.

"Because" and "if" set up dependent clauses (the dependent clauses end with the word "Parliament"), so you would need to follow them with an independent clause.  However, there is no subject in the clause that follows.  

The third option is pretty common usage, but technically it makes "representatives" the subject of the sentence, so you'd need to change "was" to "were," and it completely changes the meaning of the sentence.

"That they had no representatives in Parliament" forms a noun clause.  The lack (of representatives) becomes the subject of the sentence.

A and B are not parallel because they have a dependent clause with no independent clause.  C is not parallel because the subject is plural, the verb singular.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.  

Secondary School Educators

Dan Riordan