Security & Fire Protection Systems/smoke alarm sputtering

marcia wrote at 2009-04-10 03:14:52
that is the correct model number.  i'm having the same problem.  we just moved to this house and i think the detector is a very old model.  not sure if it has a battery.  i'm just going to replace mine.  had to turn off the power to the detector because of the beeping.

David wrote at 2009-07-01 22:47:30

I have the BRK Electronic smoke alarm model 769AC, two of them. The technician signed off on it's acceptance in the year of 1976. They are old

and I will replace them soon. They are the hard wire type and an electrician should do the work or someone who is a good DIY type. The other option is get a battery type for now.

j42bravo wrote at 2009-10-23 22:38:37
I have a BRK 769 AC as well. Its hard-wired, no battery. Came with house in 1983. The Internet has never heard of it. It started beeping last week. Two short beeps every hour or two. Not the same as the alarm sound. Maybe the americium has deteriorated.

Jarred Awake wrote at 2010-04-30 13:27:54
Mine went off repeatedly.  After blowing out the dust in the unit including a few cobwebs it seems to have calmed down.  Nonetheless I suspect this unit should have been retired 20 years ago

Steve wrote at 2010-06-03 02:22:02
Ours just fired off twice for no reason. Can someone confirm this model is a smoke alarm and not a CO alarm?

snooks1 wrote at 2011-04-09 10:01:19
i also have this unit with the same model # so deloris is correct in her findings how ever i to looked up the info for it and was unable to find any info. on it.  

Nance wrote at 2011-10-31 15:08:35
I also have this Model# (769AC). I also can NOT find anything in reference...jus going to replace the entire unit!

camval1 wrote at 2015-01-29 00:56:25
I also had a BRK Electronics smoke detector model 769AC.

This detector is the original one to the house and the house was built in 1978.

2 days ago it just started screeching by itself. No fire or smoke in the house.

I turned off the power to that circuit so we could sleep. Turned the power back the next afternoon & it started screeching again.

Don't know why it did that but figured it was old and needed replacement.

Picked up a new detector & swapped it out. No more noise.

I suppose I could have tried vacuuming it out or blowing it out, but it was 37 years old and I figured a new one might be a good idea anyways.

I read that the new ones start alarming when they wear out or reach a predetermined age. Not sure if these old BRK ones do the same thing.

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler

The design and application of burglary and fire systems for homes and businesses. Helping alarm owners understand how their system works. Helping to troubleshoot false alarm problems. Questions about monitoring issues.

Over a quarter century in the industry. Experience in installation, service, and monitoring centers. Training manager for a national protective services company; director of education and training for a national trade organization for for alarm dealers.