Security & Fire Protection Systems/Chirping/Beeping from Above the Ceiling

Gabe wrote at 2010-04-03 16:40:02
I 100% agree with Dave, I had the same problem with an intermittent beep that I thought was coming from the ceiling where the smoke detector was. The culprit was actually the carbon monoxide detector that was plugged into the wall oulet directly below it. I thought I was going nuts for a minute.  

Harry wrote at 2012-03-04 19:30:55
Thanks for you comment. After a week of chirping my mystery is solved. I replaced batteries in 6 smoke detectors. Still chirping. I removed the detects. Still chirping. I replaced all 6 detectors. Still chirping. I reset all 6 by turning off all power then removing each detector, removed the battery, held down the alarm button 15 seconds, reinstall. Still chirping. Then I read you letter. Damn! Where was that CO detector I bought a month ago? Found it, chirping on a shelf near one of the smoke detectors, covered with papers. Cleaning lady had removed it to plug in vacuum cleaner and left it there.  

Paul wrote at 2012-04-06 02:24:37
Could not agree more with Dave.  Just spent 2 hours dealing with what I thought was a smoke detector hidden in the ceiling.  After reading this post I found an old carbon monoxide detector at the back of a kitchen cupboard, whose batteries were dying.  Glad I read the post...was about to start drilling holes in the ceiling ormcheck into a hotel....

Paul wrote at 2012-04-07 04:59:56

CoryB wrote at 2012-12-23 11:03:05
This question was posted 2 years. I have same problem. Did you ever locate the source of the chirping noise?

J wrote at 2015-06-25 01:39:37
This answer about the CO detector saved my sanity. Took batteries out and all noise in whole house stopped!

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler