Security & Fire Protection Systems/Motion Detector lights

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dave,

I just moved into an older condo that has a DSC PC3000 alarm system. I do not use this alarm but it is still powered and I hope you will be able to help me with the following:
1. The motion detector light on the detector itself is almost a steady red and the zone light for this sensor on the keypad flashes constantly as does the ready light.I like the idea of the unit staying powered so I know if I have left a window or door open before I go to bed or leave so I was wondering how to disable the motion detector/zone so that theses lights on the keypad do not flash. One keypad is in my master bedroom and it is driving me crazy at night.

2. If the above is not possible, how do I disconnect the ac and battery backup from this unit.

I am assuming the motion detector itself is defective? Thank you for your help.
Mark B.

ANSWER: Hello Mark, and thanks for your question.

Yes, if the light on the motion detector is constantly, it's probably defective.

Bypassing it is pretty simple, but a lot depends on how everything was originally installed.

If you open the main control panel, and can identify which zone covers the motion detector, you're halfway there.

The key is to install the end-of-line resistor across the two terminals for that zone. Where it gets tricky is that the resistor may be installed inside the motion detector, or be connected to one of the two terminals.

Wherever it is, all you have to do is disconnect the wires from the terminals in the panel, and then connect that resistor across the terminals to complete a good circuit.

The zone will be bypassed forever, and the other zones will function normally.

Please let me know if you have trouble with this, and I'll tell you how to power down the panel so you won't be bothered.

Best Regards,

Dave

QUESTION: Thanks Dave,

I opened the main panel and I see a couple of resistors that are beeing used on zone 15 & 16 as these are not active. There are no spare resistors inside the panel. Where would I find this resistors, Radio Shack? What would I ask for?

I opened the motion detector itself and it is a Paradox III and it has 4 wires going to it as well as what looks like a reset button and three jumpers in the lower right hand corner, no resistor. What would this jumpers be for?

If by chance I cannot find a resistor can you tell me how to power down the panel?

Thanks again

Mark B

Answer
Hi Mark, you can get the resistor at Radio Shack or any other electronics store. Ask for a 1000 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor.

But before you do that, try taking one of the resistors on the unused zones off... if no additional lights show on the keypad, then you can use that one. If another light shows on the keypad, just put the resistor back.

Here's a video on the motion detector that explains the jumpers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcK55i3Djxg

You might try setting the sensitivity to "harsh" to see if that helps.

If you decide to power-down the whole system, just disconnect the AC power to the panel, and unplug the backup battery.

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler