Security & Fire Protection Systems/FBI XL Star 4600

Question
Hi, I have an FBI XL Star 4600 system that works well. 20 years ago when it was installed I had two glass break sensors installed. I am looking to remove the glass sensors and replace them with motion sensors. Can the motions be put in place of the glass breaks?
I want to add 2 or 3 motions. Will the system handle this? Do they all get wired together? The glass sensors are on Zone 2.

Answer
Hello Glenn, and thanks for writing.

It all depends on how your system is programmed, and I'm not sure that you'll be able to figure that out on your own.

Here's the dilemma... glassbreak detectors are commonly put on zones that report an alarm anytime they're tripped -- whether the system is turned on or off. It's typically called a "day zone" or "24-hour zone." The logic behind this is that if a window is broken, it shouldn't matter whether the system is armed. That's an intrusion that must be reported.

So, if you substitute motion detectors in place of the glassbreak detectors, what might happen?

If it's a 24-hour zone, every time the motion detector is tripped, it will annunciate an alarm, even if the system is turned off.

So the answer to your question is, yes, you can substitute motion detectors for the glassbreak detectors. You can add several, wired in series to be connected to the one zone. No problem there.

But it all depends on how zone 2 is programmed to respond.

I hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler