Security & Fire Protection Systems/Security alarms bypass



I have a old security system in which my basement windows seems to be set with wires and "foil" on them. It seems the foil is broken and I have to bypass this zone to set the alarm. I am not sure what is the correct name for the " FOIL " on the window and if it is something I can replace myself.

Many thanks in advance

Hello Darrin, and thanks for taking me on a trip down memory lane.

"Foil" is the correct term, and at one time, was the only way to protect glass# These days, foil is rarely used# Instead, there is a variety of glassbreak sensors that either sense the vibration of breaking glass, or sense the acoustic signature of breaking glass#

But to your question: Can you replace it yourself? On the one hand I want to say YES, because it's a relatively simple procedure# On the other hand, I want to say NO, because even though it's a simple procedure, it takes a lot of practice, special tools, materials, and expertise to do it# I really don't think I'd advise attempting this without an experienced tech to give you hands-on instruction#

But if you're curious, go to this link and have a look at what's involved: http://alarmsuperstore#com/store/index#php?main_page=advanced_search_result&sear

If you were to re-do the foil on your windows, you'd need to get a roll of foil, foil take-off blocks, and adhesive/protector, at a minimum.

I hope that helps...

Best Regards,


Security & Fire Protection Systems

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dave Neuweiler


The design and application of burglary and fire systems for homes and businesses. Helping alarm owners understand how their system works. Helping to troubleshoot false alarm problems. Questions about monitoring issues.


Over a quarter century in the industry. Experience in installation, service, and monitoring centers. Training manager for a national protective services company; director of education and training for a national trade organization for for alarm dealers.


©2017 All rights reserved.