Security & Fire Protection Systems/BRK 4919 fire alarms

Question
I have started getting false alarms since winter started in my new home. Can the fire alarms beep with cold drafts? They seem to beep at night when the temperature gets down around zero degrees. Should the light be green not red?

Answer
Hello Daniel, and thanks for writing.

Unless it's near zero degrees in the house, that's not the problem. More likely it's related to the heating system coming on. Is the detector near a heating vent?

In any case, you should try cleaning the detector by spraying compressed air in every accessible opening (you can get a can of compressed air at any office supply store).

Often, this will cure the problem.

Also, your detector is discontinued. Please check the manufacture date printed on the back of the detector. If it's about ten years old, you should replace it.

The direct replacement is the BRK 9120. This uses the same plug as the 4919, so you won't have to do any rewiring.

Most BRK detectors only have a red LED, and it should flash once every minute or so.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler