Security & Fire Protection Systems/motion detector

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dave,
I have a FBII XL-3 security system.
When it was installed I had a cat so I opted out of any motion sensors.
No animals in the house now so I would like to install at least one motion. Could you recommend a unit that will work with my system?
Can I install it in one of my existing zones?
Thanks for any help.

ANSWER: Hello Arnold, and thanks for your questions.

To answer your last question first, yes, you can add a motion detector to an existing zone. Which zone that ends up being will depend on where you choose to install the motion detector. For example, if the motion detector would sense your presence from the time that you set the alarm at the keypad to when you exit your house, then the detector would have be placed on a zone that's programmed with an exit delay, else you'd never be able to successfully set the alarm.

The next consideration is how you will power the detector. In your control, at terminals 3 and 4, there's 12 volts of power for such devices... so you'll have to plan how to get wire between the control and the detector (this may help drive WHERE you will install the detector.

Other considerations on where to install the detector are to eliminate false alarms. For example, you should never point it at a window, or in an area that has natural movement such as plants that can be moved by your ventilation system.

Finally, there are two basic types from which to choose: wide-angle or long-range. This refers to the size and shape of the area that the device can protect, and this will depend on the installation location and the area you want to cover.

In terms of buying a detector, please go to this link (there are many online vendors, and I don't play favorites, so shop around): http://www.homesecuritystore.com/c-156-infrared.aspx

Here you can browse the detectors. For compatibility with your system choose on that's hard-wired (not wireless), and that will operate on 12 volts DC power.

An example is this one: http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-229-aurora-ademco-pir-motion-detector.aspx

If you look at the specifications, you'll see it operates on a range of 8 to 16 volts.

I hope this helps, and please write again if you have additional questions.

Best Regards,

Dave

OOOPS! I made a mistake in my original post, Arnold... it's not terminals 3 and 4 for the auxilary power -- it's 4 and 5. Sorry about that!

QUESTION: Hi, Dave
Thanks for your follow-up response.
Yes I do have some additional questions.
I have glass break detectors in some rooms. These have four wires. Does that mean that these devices have 12 volt power to them? If so, two of them are connected to zone 5 and the others are on 6,7,and 8. My next question is whether or not I can connect the "motion" in series to the glass break wires in my bedroom which is on zone 6.
Just a little background to my desire to upgrade my system.
There have been a few burglaries in my area lately and as you can imagine I'm getting nervous. I've always been concerned about the fact that the signal sent to my monitoring company goes over the phone lines and it would not be very difficult for any burglar to cut this wire which is outside on the wall of my house. I am considering having this changed to a signal that is sent over the airways. I guess this is a radio signal of some sort? Also I have been considering a video surveillance system to at least get some info for the police in case I do get burglarized. Sounding pretty paranoid I guess. I hope you can answer some of these questions and any suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.
Arnie

Answer
Hello again Arnold.

If you can send me the make and model of the glassbreak detectors, I can tell you whether two of those four wires are providing 12 volts power.

If it is 12 volts at that point, it should be okay to tap into that to power the motion detector and connect the device in series with the alarm circuit. The power connection would be a parallel.

BUT... sometimes glassbreak detector zones are programmed as 24-hour zones, meaning that they will generate an alarm whether the control is on or off. If this is the case, then it would not work to connect the motion detector there. Every time you entered the room, an alarm would be generated.

You're considering video and wireless communications to the monitoring center... and these things start getting past the general expertise of a do-it-yourself project. For these things, it might be best to have a tech visit and survey the situation. That's where the best recommendation will come from.

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler