Security & Fire Protection Systems/dcs 832

Question
I have had to switch to a digital line as the phone company has made a change.  I understand with a digital line, I have to do a delay in the telephone line monitoring.  How can I increase the dialer delay on my alarm

Thanks

Jim

Answer
Hello Jim, and thanks for your question.

When an alarm system that's set up for transmission over an analog line is switched to a digital line (VoIP, or Voice Over Internet Protocol#, there is often disruption.

The key is not in a delay for the transmission, but in using a filter #sometimes referred to as an adapter) to allow the alarm control to communicate with the monitoring center's equipment.

Providers of VoIP say different things about this, and have different solutions. Here's a link to an article that explains the issues and also provides statements from some of the VoIP vendors. This should help you decide on a solution:

http://www.bevansecurity.com/company/voip.html

If you have additional questions, just drop me another message.

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler