Security & Fire Protection Systems/Fire Alarm too sensitive

Question
I have a firex FX 1218 that is hard wired in my kitchen and it's way too sensitive.  If I could move it about 5 feet I think it would solve the problem, but it's hard wired in and I have no access to the ceiling as it's on the 1st floor of a 2 story house.  

So I'm looking for a replacement that won't go off every time we use the oven!

Thanks!

Answer
Hello Jeff,and thanks for writing.

It's possible that a new smoke detector will help reduce false alarms. That's because they tend to get more sensitive with the accumulation of dust and grime.

But NO smoke detector can long overcome an unfortunate location too near a source of products of combustion.

That said, if you want to replace the detector, it's important to know whether this is the only detector you have, or if there are more.

If it's the only detector you have, you can replace it with any 120 volt smoke detector.

But since this model is obsolete, and according to the compatibility chart here:

https://portalgb.knowledgebase.net/display/4/kb/article.aspx?aid=304149

there's no compatible Kidde replacement listed that would work with that model (Kidde acquired FIREX a few back, so FIREX is defunct).

So in this case, you'd need to replace all of the detectors with like kind, which isn't a bad idea given the age of your detectors.

I hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Dave  

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler