Security & Fire Protection Systems/Moving to new home

Question
I had an ADT alarm which then became Security Link and we have no monitoring on it. We are moving to a Townhome and would like to take alarm system with us and make it work in new home. Is this possible?? We cant really afford a new system! Pls help us!
Thanks,

Sofia

Answer
I'm going to need to know a little more about your system.  Did ADT/Security Link program it as a "local" system?  Do you actually OWN the equipment?  In almost all cases involving ADT systems, the equipment is leased to the homeowner in which case removing it could be problematic (legally).  I've heard instances where if they haven't come out to take back the system (when you cancel your contract), it could be considered "abandoned" after a certain period of time.  You'll have to check your state law.

Now.  Removing the system shouldn't be all that difficult to do (in either case).  I wouldn't council you to do so unless you've been able to verify that you actually OWN it, however.  If you DO, then let me know what kind of system it is (or send me a picture of the keypad and common control) and we can go from there.

Hope this helps!

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Frank Kurz