Security & Fire Protection Systems/napco keypad

QUESTION: I have a napco keypad and some of the keys are sticking - we have to push them down very firmly and hard in order to set/disarm the alarm.  is there a way to clean or replace the keys without spending the money to replace the entire unit?

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER: Hello David, and thanks for your question.

Depending on the age of your system, it might be difficult to find a replacement keypad.

So, let's try to clean yours up.

You'll have to remove the cover of the keypad. You'll see that the keys fit through cutouts in the cover. This is usually where the trouble lies.

Once you have the cover off, use Windex or any other glass cleaner to clean the interior edges of each cutout. It's most often the grime that builds up there that causes the keys to stick.

If your keys are constructed of a soft plastic square, you'll see small round graphite cylinders behind each key on the back. On the inside of the keypad, you'll see a PC board with silver or gold etchings.

Use the rubber eraser on a pencil to gently clean the etchings, and follow up by using a q-tip swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean away any residue. Clean the graphite cylinders on the back of the soft plastic square with the q-tip as well.

Put it all back together, and hopefully all will be well.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

QUESTION: Thank you Dave!

What is the proper way to take the cover off?  On the bottom of the unit I see two small openings.  Do I just insert a screwdriver in the hole and gently pry it off?

Hi David, most keyboard covers pop off. If the openings you see are two small slots, then yes, insert a small screwdriver blade and give it a half turn. The cover should pop off.

To re-install the cover, line up the connectors at the top, then press the bottom half in. It should click into place.

Just make sure there's not also a screw that's holding the cover in place in addition to the snaps (this is pretty common). If you see a screw, remove it first.

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler

The design and application of burglary and fire systems for homes and businesses. Helping alarm owners understand how their system works. Helping to troubleshoot false alarm problems. Questions about monitoring issues.

Over a quarter century in the industry. Experience in installation, service, and monitoring centers. Training manager for a national protective services company; director of education and training for a national trade organization for for alarm dealers.