Security & Fire Protection Systems/set up ambush code...

I am trying to set up an ambush code for a Star XL 4800EZ security system. We have all of the user codes in and have been using them for years but we now would like to set up an ambush code.  Our installer is no longer available so I wonder if you can tell me how to go about this.  We do have user code #16 available but I need some help to set it up to be an ambush code.  Can you help me with this?   
Thank You,
Deb Dewalt
Berwick Dental Arts

In the systems I am familiar with, an ambush code, more commonly known as a duress code, is not actually an operating feature of the alarm panel. It is a specific code that the central station monitoring your system recognizes as a duress code, and not a valid user code. So for example, you could set user code #16 to be 3775 (just a random number) and then notify your central station that if a 3775 code comes in to dispatch PD as it is a duress code. Some alarm systems had an actual location in the programming for a duress code, but it functioned the same way, the central station was notified that it is a duress code and responds accordingly.

If you don't have a monitored system, you could still set up a sort of duress system based on a specific code, but you would need to let me know exactly what the system would do if this code was entered.

Hope this helps,

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Steven Burman

Any question related to Closed Circuit Television (CCTV), Intelligent Video Analytics (IVA), Access Control Systems (ACS), Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS), Perimeter Intrusion Detection Systems (PIDS), and "Single Platform" Systems Integration Technical Writing and Documentation

25 years in the design and installation of security systems. 9 years experience in port and maritime security systems.

Government Security News

Various Factory Certifications

Moffatt & Nichol, Engineers (Port of Long Beach, Port of San Diego, Alabama State Docks), Disney Studios, McDonnell Douglas, Various Celebrities