Security & Fire Protection Systems/Smoke Detector

I have an interconnected first alert smoke detector system installed in a commercial building.  The smoke detector model# is SA86B.  These are not hooked up to the building fire life safety panel so they would never report to the monitoring station.
This building is located in Santa Ana California and was build in the early 1990's.  From what I can find, it looks like these are for home use only---is that right???
Please advise.

Thank you,

Tad Wesoloski/Chief Engineer
Davis Partners/Able Engineering

Hi Tad,

Thank you for your question.

The SA86B Smoke Detector, as you correctly stated, was produced by First Alert. This company specializes in detection systems aimed primarily towards the domestic market.

In the UK, this type of system would not comply with the requirements of our British Standards  (BS5839-1:2002+A2:2008) within a Commercial property and can only presume that this would also be true in the US under the requirements of NFPA 1.

Hope this helps answer your enquiry

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Malcolm Evans

I can answer questions relating to Fire systems and Gaseous Fire Suppression systems, both mechanical (including Integrity Testing) and electrical components (Addressable and Conventional systems) and can cover UK standards and regulations. Also, I am Ansul trained and certified in R-102 Ansul Kitchen Suppression system design, installation and maintenance.

I have 2 years experience with my current employer, a UK Fire Protection Company, in installation, testing and maintenance of various system types, and design of Ansul R-102 Kitchen Suppression systems.

FIA (Fire Industry Association) and BAFE (British Approvals for Fire Equipment) accredited. Ansul certified.

Secondary Education (GCSE's) and Technical College (City & Guilds).

Land Rover; RBoS; Wilkinsons; Jaguar; British Telecoms; British Sky Broadcasting; Welsh Assembly; BBC Scotland; Crowne Plaza Hotel chain; Holiday Inn Hotel chain; Hilton Hotel chain; London Heathrow; Gatwick; Financial Institutions; Local Government Offices and many more