Security & Fire Protection Systems/Smoke Detector

Question
Malcolm,

I have an interconnected first alert smoke detector system installed in a commercial building.  The smoke detector model# is SA86B.  These are not hooked up to the building fire life safety panel so they would never report to the monitoring station.
This building is located in Santa Ana California and was build in the early 1990's.  From what I can find, it looks like these are for home use only---is that right???
Please advise.

Thank you,

Tad Wesoloski/Chief Engineer
Davis Partners/Able Engineering

Answer
Hi Tad,

Thank you for your question.

The SA86B Smoke Detector, as you correctly stated, was produced by First Alert. This company specializes in detection systems aimed primarily towards the domestic market.

In the UK, this type of system would not comply with the requirements of our British Standards  (BS5839-1:2002+A2:2008) within a Commercial property and can only presume that this would also be true in the US under the requirements of NFPA 1.

Hope this helps answer your enquiry

Regards

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Malcolm Evans