Security & Fire Protection Systems/Ranger alarm system

There was a power surge at my house while I was out of town.  When I got home and turned on the breakers, the alarm system will not go off.  I had to disconnect it at the control box in my closet.  I can't plug it in without it going off - tried putting in my code, it just keeps sounding the alarm.  Any ideas?  Master code?  Haven't found one yet but I'll keep looking to see if the installer scribbled it somewhere.  I have the LCD5500Z Keypad.   Thanks for any suggestion.

Hello Kathy, and thanks for your question.

I'm afraid I don't have good news. From what you describe, the control's motherboard was taken out by the power surge. Nothing to do except replace it. Whether the keypads were affected... I can't tell.

Now, do you know whether it was a power surge or a lightning strike? The reason I ask is that if it was just a power surge, the likelihood is that all of your protective devices on doors, windows, etc. are fine. If it was a lightning strike, some of those devices may have been damaged as well.

So I recommend that you call your service provider (or, if you don't have one, a local alarm company). Have them inspect the system -- they can do a better job in person than I can do from Florida -- to confirm or deny my suspicion.

I hope it works out for you, and if you have follow-up questions along the way, just drop me a note.

Best Regards,

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler

The design and application of burglary and fire systems for homes and businesses. Helping alarm owners understand how their system works. Helping to troubleshoot false alarm problems. Questions about monitoring issues.

Over a quarter century in the industry. Experience in installation, service, and monitoring centers. Training manager for a national protective services company; director of education and training for a national trade organization for for alarm dealers.