Security & Fire Protection Systems/BHS-3000A Trouble notification

Is there a way to bypass the "Trouble" light and notification sound produced by the BHS-3000A system when not connected to ADT?

I have the BHS-3000A security system installed in my home from the previous owner and I have opted to not use the ADT service to monitor it, but I would still like to have the system intact to alert us if someone attempts to break in while we're home. At the moment the Trouble notification sounds everyday, about 12 hours from the last time the alert was cancelled.

Hello Calvin:

The BHS-3000A is a Brinks badged system.  How did ADT get involved in the first place?  The Brinks system is proprietory (you don't own it).  If you kill the monitoring (doable), then they (or their assignees) would have the legal right to come and collect the equipment.  To my knowledge they haven't done this on a really large scale so I wouldn't worry.  You'll need the programmer.  You can "rent" one from Jim Rojas at  He'll also talk you through the process to disable the communicator.  Good luck!

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Frank Kurz

Questions relating to Burglar Alarm and Security Equipment, Fire Alarm and Extinguishment Systems, Access Control, CCTV Systems, Installation, Service, Testing, Verification

30 years installing, servicing, and testing security, access control, extinguishment, and fire alarm systems

Chair of ULC Working Groups for Fire Alarm Testing (CAN/ULC-S536) and Fire Alarm Verification (CAN/ULC-S537), Executive Director of the Fire Protection Technicians Network (

Publications, Better Business Bureau Magazine, Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia ( SUPPRESS! and Techs Fire Break Newsletters

Associate in Science; Emergency Systems (University of British Columbia); Aircraft Maintenance Technology (BCIT)