Security & Fire Protection Systems/PC1555MX Physical Removal

Question
Hello, We purchased an 80 year old rental property that at some unknown time had an alarm system installed.  We have ripped out the door and motion sensors but have now found an old metal PC1555MX in it.  
Is there any possibility that this box is live? if so would I which of the wires is the electrical?
Thank you for your time.

Answer

There is always the possibility that a piece of equipment may be live, but there again, it may not be.....

It would be wise to check the terminals inside the PC1555MX panel using a Voltmeter to comfirm for certain. Looking inside the panel, identify the long terminal block at the bottom of the main board (this is the keybus). The very first 2 terminals (left-hand end as looking) labelled "AC" are the main 120VAC power inputs to the panel, which would normally be Black(Line, Single Phase) and White(Neutral) cables.

Also, be aware of the telephone connections on the 5 way terminal block on right-hand end labelled "RING" (Red), "TIP" (Green), "R-1" (Grey) and "T-1" (Brown) which may also still be live if connected to the telephony system @ 48VDC. Terminal "EGND" should just be a Ground Wire from the building's electrical circuit.

Obviously, if you find a voltage on the panel, you will need to locate and isolate the feed for this before conducting any further works, if removing completely, on the panel.

Regards

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Malcolm Evans