Security & Fire Protection Systems/Battery for FirstAlert keypad FA260

I don't have the alarm system activated , I just have the keypad set so it chimes when any door is opened. Lately it has been beeping constantly every 12 hrs or so and will stop when I press the " off "  button.  I'm assuming it needs a battery .  How do I go about changing the battery and where can I buy it ?  Thank you.

You'll have to find the main control unit.  It'll be tucked away in a closet or some other out of the way place.  It's a large can that's beige colored.  The battery you'll need is a sealed lead acid unit.  I would recommend the 12 volt 7AH unit.  You can purchase one at Home Depot or Lowes.  Observe the proper polarity when you're reconnecting them.

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Frank Kurz

Questions relating to Burglar Alarm and Security Equipment, Fire Alarm and Extinguishment Systems, Access Control, CCTV Systems, Installation, Service, Testing, Verification

30 years installing, servicing, and testing security, access control, extinguishment, and fire alarm systems

Chair of ULC Working Groups for Fire Alarm Testing (CAN/ULC-S536) and Fire Alarm Verification (CAN/ULC-S537), Executive Director of the Fire Protection Technicians Network (

Publications, Better Business Bureau Magazine, Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia ( SUPPRESS! and Techs Fire Break Newsletters

Associate in Science; Emergency Systems (University of British Columbia); Aircraft Maintenance Technology (BCIT)