Security & Fire Protection Systems/DSC PC1500

Question
QUESTION: Recently, I replaced the battery in my DSC PC1500 6-zone home security system.  In the process, the 5 Amp AC fuse blew and the system was w/o all power (AC and Battery) for about 3 days.  I have replaced the fuse and the battery; however, now I get a trouble condition "5" = Fire Zone, and my Zone 6 light does not light even when one of the doors or windows in Zone 6 is opened.  

Once I close all the doors/windows, the trouble condition resets; however, when I open a door/window, not only does the Zone 6 LED not light, but the trouble light re-illumintates, and the "*2" diagnostic again indicates a problem in Zone "5".  I have attempted a complete power down/hard reboot, but it didn't change anything.

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

ANSWER: Hello Bob, and thanks for writing.

It sounds like the wiring for the burglary zone 6 is connected to the terminals for the fire zone in your panel, and the fire zone wiring is connected to the zone 6 terminals in the control.

Is that possible? Did you inadvertently rearrange some wiring?

Let me know!

Best Regards,

Dave

QUESTION: No-All the wires remained secure.  I replaced all the fuses, but did not touch/change any wiring at all.  I did try the "*7" code to clear/reset a smoke detector (not even sure it's hooked into the system) but all that happens is the lights on the keypad go off and it produces a tone for a few seconds.

Is there any chance some programming might have been lost or corrupted while the system was powered off for the 2 days (and if so, is there a way to reprogram the Fire Zone portion)?  I did have to reprogram the security code which had reset to the original default code while the system was without power.  So wondering if anything else needed reprogramming?

Reading through some material in the Installation Guide, I'm not sure I totally understand, but it sounded like the Fire Zone can be linked to one of the Security Zones through programing and was wondering if that was corrupted and/or needed to be reprogrammed (although I'd have no clue as to how to do it)???

Answer
Thanks for the new information, Bob.

I don't know how you managed to travel this path, but I'm pretty certain this is where you wound up: Reset to Factory Default. The giveaway clue is that the password was set to the factory default. The second clue is that the factory default for zone 6 is a fire zone, which is entirely consistent with the symptoms you described earlier.

What this means is that the EEPROM that contains all of your passwords and the system programming, has been returned to the state in which the unit left the factory.

Now, to answer your question about losing or corrupting the programming, I've never seen nor heard of that happening through loss of power. It' a non-volatile memory chip, so nothing is lost when power is removed. There are two ways to default a panel back to factory default. One is a keyboard command done from within system programming, and the other is a hardware rest done by powering up the control with a pair of pins on the main board shorted #they're marked EEPROM RESET#.

Anyway, the panel will have to be re-programmed from scratch. If the manual you have was left by the original installer, and the programming worksheets were filled in, then this is something you can probably figure out on your own.

If the programming sheets are not filled out, then you'd have to identify a host of settings based on how the system was originally installed. For that, you'll likely need to hire a technician who can identify the hardware you have and how it's configured. It's not the kind of task that can be handled by e-mail.

I hope this helps, and I wish it were better news.

Best Regards,

Dave  

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler