Security & Fire Protection Systems/FBI XL-31 False Alarms

I have a FBI XL-31 and the keypad is randomly beeping with zone 12 (fire zone) blinking.  The beeping seems completely random.  The actual alarm does not go off.  I have looked at all smoke detectors and all appear to be in good condition and the red lights have a slow blink which is normal.  Any suggestions?

Hello Scott, and thanks for writing.

On a fire zone for the XL-31, when the zone LED and sounder slowly pulse, it indicates an open on the fire circuit. It's a warning that if a fire detector was actually tripped, that it might not be annunciated at the panel.

Since this is happening randomly on your system, it would seem that there's a loose connection somewhere on that zone. When it "breaks," you get the trouble warning, and when it "makes" the trouble clears.

You may be able to find this without test equipment by having someone monitor the keypad as a second person wiggles and jiggles each detector, trying to cause the loose connection to open.

If that doesn't narrow the problem, you'll have to get a technician to troubleshoot the zone and clear the problem.

I hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler

The design and application of burglary and fire systems for homes and businesses. Helping alarm owners understand how their system works. Helping to troubleshoot false alarm problems. Questions about monitoring issues.

Over a quarter century in the industry. Experience in installation, service, and monitoring centers. Training manager for a national protective services company; director of education and training for a national trade organization for for alarm dealers.