Security & Fire Protection Systems/Power for security system


I have a 14 year old FBII XL-2 home security system which was knocked out by a power surge during a storm. I need a new transformer (120 V 60HZ o.25A to 12V AC 20VA). I have not been able to locate a source to purchase a new transformer. There may be other problems but will not know till I can fire up the system.

Hello Robert, and thanks for your question.

If you Google "12VAC 20VA", you'll get a lot of hits, like this one:


Or this:

You can see there's a large price difference, so shop around.

The brand of the transformer is not important. For the rating #12VAC 20VA, the voltage must match #12VAC#, but the volts per amp #VA# rating can be larger. The VA rating relates to the amount of "work" the transformer can do. So don't go below 20, because the transformer will have to work to hard. Going higher, say 40VA, means the transformer is "jogging along at about half speed."

I hope this helps, and please write back if you still have questions on this, or with other problems with your system.

Best Regards,


Security & Fire Protection Systems

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dave Neuweiler


The design and application of burglary and fire systems for homes and businesses. Helping alarm owners understand how their system works. Helping to troubleshoot false alarm problems. Questions about monitoring issues.


Over a quarter century in the industry. Experience in installation, service, and monitoring centers. Training manager for a national protective services company; director of education and training for a national trade organization for for alarm dealers.


©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]