Security & Fire Protection Systems/FA215 Keypad chime

Question
Is it possible to adjust the volume on the chime or beep when a door is opened?  I can hardly hear the beep on one keypad while the other is much louder.

Answer
Hello Doug, and thanks for your question.

No, there's no volume adjustment of the keypad. But if one is loud, and the other weak, there are a couple of possibilities.

First, check the connections for the four-wire keypad bus at both the control, and at the affected keypad. It could be just a tarnished or loose connection.

The second thing to check is the piezoelectric sounder in the keypad. It's a long shot, but I once saw a spider build a nest inside the element. These sounders are remarkably easy to mute with any obstruction.

The sounder is a small plastic cylinder with a hole in the center. Just make sure that the hole is comp-lately clear.

And it could be just a failed sounder. You can check that by switching the two keypads. If the low volume follows the keypad, the keypad is the problem. But if the low sound stays in the original location, then there's a power issue.

I hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler