Security & Fire Protection Systems/replacement keypad for caddx ranger 8980e

Question
HELLO DAVE,I AM LOOKING FOR A REPLACEMENT KEYPAD FOR MY CADDX RANGER 8980E AS THE PRINTOUT ON PAD NO LONGER WORKS ALARM INSTALLED IN 1995 & SOME OF THE NUMBERS STICK A BIT FROM USE.IM HOPING IT IS NOT TOO HARD TO TAKE OFF OLD & CONNECT A NEW ONE.THAMK YOU FOR YOUR HELP & HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Answer
Hello Gene, and thanks for your question and the holiday greetings.

Your keypad is obsolete, but you have a few options.

First, you can check e-Bay to see if someone out there has one that's gathering dust. You can also access this website, which deals in finding obsolete parts:

http://discontinuedalarmparts.com/

Finally, since your issue is sticking keys, you may be able to repair it yourself.

Most keypads of this era have a plastic cover with holes for each of the keys. If you can disassemble the keypad, you'll see that the "keys" part is a rubberized mat that aligns with the holes in the solid plastic cover.

What usually happens is that grime from fingers builds up around the edges of that solid plastic cover, and this causes the keys to stick.

If you can take it apart, you can clean both the rubberized key "mat" and the inside of the holes on the cover with rubbing alcohol to clear away the built-up grime.

So I'd try finding a replacement first, and if that fails, try cleaning the keypad.

If both methods fail, you're in a pretty bad position -- you'll likely have to upgrade the control and keypad(s) to something more modern (the already installed wiring and protective devices could likely be reused, so it's not a complete system replacement).

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler