Security & Fire Protection Systems/Brinks smoke detector

Question
We have a brinks home security system and smoke detectors. We are currently using ADT for home security, but not the smoke detectors. We have one smoke detector that beeps every few seconds and the only way I can get it to stop is to unplug it from the inside of detector. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Answer
Hello Jim, and thanks for your question... and my apologies for the tardy response. Every once in a while, the AllExperts e-mail notification system fails and I'm not notified that a question is pending. I found your question while responding to another person's query.

It sounds like the smoke detectors are separate from the Brinks system, which is pretty common.

If your smoke detector is beeping once about every 60 seconds, that's indicative of a low battery. Replacing the battery -- generally a 9-volt transistor battery -- cures the problem.

Also, have a look at the underside of the detector, where you'll find the manufacture date. These detectors have a useful life of about ten years. If you're near to that or over, then just replace the detectors. If you need help in finding a replacement, let me know the make and model, and I'll give you a hand.

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler