Security & Fire Protection Systems/DSC PC 1500 HOME SECURITY

QUESTION: Perform system test, alarm sounds, panel lights work  Everything appears to be normal.
After test, ready light appears.
When armed and door is opened,  zone light appears but the siren does not sound.   Help

ANSWER: Hello David, and thanks for writing.

The system test verifies the battery, keypad LEDs, and the siren. So far so good.

Here are two things I want to confirm.

First, there's an entry delay which may be as long as 60 seconds. The siren will not sound until after the entry delay has expired. When you tested the system, are you sure the entry delay had expired?

Second, you mentioned that when the door was opened, the siren did not sound. I'm assuming you have more than one zone. Did you test with other zones to see if the siren sounds?

Please let me know, and we'll see what next steps to take.

Best Regards,

QUESTION: Verified entry delay is o.k.  After door is opened for 56 seconds, panel beeps continuously until it is disarmed.  No siren. Only zone 1, the entry door, does not set off the siren.

Second, other zones do set off siren. All other zones are operating properly.

Thanks for the additional information.

It's hard to tell without being able to examine the system, but I suspect that zone 1 is not programmed as a burglary zone. Have you or an alarm vendor been poking around in system programming, or have had the need to "default" the panel back to its original factory state?

If so, then I think that zone 1 is programmed as a fire zone; this is the default setting for zone 1. You can easily test this theory by taking a paper clip and shorting the Z1 and COMMON terminal next to it. If it's indeed a fire zone, the siren will sound instantly, whether the system is armed or disarmed.

If I'm incorrect in my suspicion, then we'll have to do some more thinking on this problem.

Let me know what you find!

Best Regards,

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler

The design and application of burglary and fire systems for homes and businesses. Helping alarm owners understand how their system works. Helping to troubleshoot false alarm problems. Questions about monitoring issues.

Over a quarter century in the industry. Experience in installation, service, and monitoring centers. Training manager for a national protective services company; director of education and training for a national trade organization for for alarm dealers.