Security & Fire Protection Systems/FA260 shows no ac

Question
After a recent electrical storm, system shows no ac.  I replaced the transformer, with no effect.  What else can I do?

Answer
Hello Paul, and thanks for your question.

There are a few things you can check. First, let's confirm that the outlet that holds the system transformer is okay. Just plug a known good lamp into the outlet to test whether there's AC to the outlet.

If there's not, then check the breaker box for a tripped circuit breaker.

Also, once you've confirmed the outlet is okay, feel the transformer. It should be warm to the touch. If it's cold, then the transformer is no good. Now whether you got a bad one "out of the box" or there's something there that blew the transformer when you plugged it in, I can't tell.

Provided we have a good outlet and a warm transformer, open the control panel and inspect the main board. It's a First Alert panel, but I can't tell which one, since the model number you gave is for the keypad, and this keypad is used for several control models. What you're looking for is anything that looks burned, scorched, or discolored. This would be indicative of a lightning strike or power surge. Also see if there are any small glass fuses on the motherboard. If there are, inspect them to see whether the filament is broken.

That's all you can check without a meter. Please let me know what you find, or if you have additional questions.

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler