Security & Fire Protection Systems/Completely shut down PC5010

Hi we have the DSC Power 832 - PC5010.  I have disconnected the battery from the panel over a month ago and now the panel has started an intermittent beeping.  It is showing, after *2, trouble with 1, 3 and 8.  According to the manual, after I push 1 it comes back with a second 1 which in the manual says low battery.  I would like to permanently  shutdown the system.  How do I do this?

If you've disconnected the battery, you also have to disconnect the AC power transformer.  This is usually a "wall wart" plugged into an outlet fairly convenient to the common control.  It's usually held in place by a screw (or in some cases, nylon straps).  Are you sure the system doesn't monitor 12VDC smoke or carbon monoxide detectors?  These are life safety components that will become non-functioning if you disconnect power.  Some systems are set up to provide you with a flood alert should you experience a water back-up problem.  These days, "security" is only one component of a fully integrated home and can even provide lighting control.

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Frank Kurz

Questions relating to Burglar Alarm and Security Equipment, Fire Alarm and Extinguishment Systems, Access Control, CCTV Systems, Installation, Service, Testing, Verification

30 years installing, servicing, and testing security, access control, extinguishment, and fire alarm systems

Chair of ULC Working Groups for Fire Alarm Testing (CAN/ULC-S536) and Fire Alarm Verification (CAN/ULC-S537), Executive Director of the Fire Protection Technicians Network (

Publications, Better Business Bureau Magazine, Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia ( SUPPRESS! and Techs Fire Break Newsletters

Associate in Science; Emergency Systems (University of British Columbia); Aircraft Maintenance Technology (BCIT)