Security & Fire Protection Systems/FA130CP Chime Mode & Bat

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I have an FA130CP system with a 260RF keypad. I bought this house about 6 months ago and at the time, the MC for the system was not know by the previous owner. The system was in 'Chime' mode and chimed (3 beeps) whenever any exterior door was opened. At some point in time the chime stopped working and the BAT signal came on. We think this occurred after a power outage (for the chime anyway) but since we did not use the alarm system at that time, we are not sure if these happened at the same time or not. Since then I have programmed a new MC into the unit and now have the ability to arm the system. I have replaced the backup battery with a new one but 'BAT' (no zones indicated)is still displayed  on the keypad. Additionally, when I activate the Chime function, no sound emits from the keypad when any exterior door is opened. As a matter of fact. they keypad emits no sound at all under any circumstances. One last item, when doing the weekly test procedure on the system, the sounder goes off and then 'dd' is displayed.

My initial thought was that the keypad speaker has gone out, but with the 'bat' display still occurring and the 'dd' display in test mode I am not sure what is truly going on. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

ANSWER: Hello Randy, and thanks for your questions.

You've reported some confusing information, but let's try to sort it out.

First, you didn't know what the Master Code was, but later you said you were able to program a new one. You need the Installer's Code to do that. Did you by chance get into system programming by holding the * and # keys right after power up?

Did you use *97 to reset the panel to factory defaults? Let me know on that.

The dd code shows when the system is put into test mode. It should automatically return to normal mode after 4 hours. If it's not doing that, we have another problem ... and my first guess is that it's power-related.

The BATT message by itself points to the system battery, which you replaced. Do you have a meter, and can you check voltages for both the AC power in, and the battery voltage? Check the battery voltage first with the AC connected, then disconnect the AC, wait 30 minutes, and measure the battery again. Let me know those readings.

That's it for now; after you gather the information, we'll see where it takes us.

Best Regards,

Dave

QUESTION: Hi Dave, thanks for your response, sorry if the information I supplied was confusing, just was not sure what was relevant.

But to answer your questions.

1) Yes I did get the installers code by the * # method and was able to set a new Master Code using that approach.

2) No I did not use *97. Since this system is no longer monitored I did do:
* 41 *, * 42*, *96, *29 0 and *95

3) It only shows dd when in test mode, but the manual I have does not say anything about a dd display so I thought it might be an issue, good to know it is not. Mine does not show dd when I leave test mode. (Follow up to that -  the User Guide does not show the dd code but I have found in the installation guide it does say that dd will be displayed, my error for including it in the original question)

4) The ACV is 18.1 with everything connected. Battery shows a DCV of 13.63 with AC power on, and a DCV of 12.91 after 30 minutes of no AC.

Again, thanks in advance for your help.

ANSWER: Thanks Randy -- that straightened a few things out.

The good news is that the power measurements are good. The replacement battery is fine.

So let's try to eliminate a few more things.

First, there's a 3-amp glass fuse on the motherboard toward the top above the AC input terminals. Check that (it protects the battery).

Second, measure DC voltage on terminals 4 and 5; this is where the power for the keypads come from. Voltage should be between 10.5 and 13.8.

If we're good in both places, I'm satisfied that it's not a power issue.

Next, I'd try a hard reboot to clear out the memory buffer. Do this by disconnecting both the battery and AC. Wait a few minutes, then power-up the panel. The reason this can be important is because you're no longer monitored by a central station. Alarm messages that would ordinarily be sent to the central are stored in memory in the hopes that the next time the panel tries to communicate, it will be able to pass that information along. In your case, that can't ever happen. And when the memory buffer eventually fills to capacity, the system crashes.

Have a try and let me know what happens ...

Thanks!

Dave

QUESTION: Message 3

Dave, sorry for the slow follow-up, I was out of town the past 24 hrs, But to answer your questions.

1) The 3 amp fuse is not blown, pulled it out and checked, shows good.
2) The check on terminals 4 5 is 13.36 VDC
3) I am going to say the memory buffer was most likely cleared when I replaced the battery. I had the old battery out and terminal one disconnected for a couple of hours. And all of that was after I had done the code work I mentioned in message 2.

To add to this, when I got back into town this morning the BAT indicator was clear. So the only things on my keypad display are AC and Chime. (Since I have it in that mode, which continues to not sound.)

Looking forward to your next suggestion.

Randy

Answer
Well, looks like we're running out of things to check.

I looked at the programming entries that you changed, and I don't see anything there that would contribute to the problem.

We're left with the keypad sounder not working; have you opened the keypad to check the connections there? Since it's an RF keypad I believe there will only be power leads from the control panel, although there is a relay function in the keypad that may be connected to something else.

So check the connections; you should see almost exactly the same voltage there as you did when you measured terminals 4 and 5 in the panel.

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler