Security & Fire Protection Systems/Chirpping of smoke alarm

Question
The same problem that others have posted for FireX 1182. We have taken battery out and turned the breaker off even disconnected it from the plug that wires it into the wall and it still beeps....from the wires in the wall it still beeps......what is there that could cause a beeping sound?

Answer
Hello Jacqueline, and thanks for your question.

If you have removed the battery and disconnected the AC power to the smoke detector, there may be enough stored energy in the detector for a single weak beep. But other than that, it cannot beep.

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home? There are several models that plug into wall outlets, and these have a similar low-battery warning beep. I've seen in the past that this is sometimes blamed on the smoke detector.

To determine whether some device other than the smoke detector is doing the beeping, disconnect the smoke detector and put it on the front porch for a while. If you still hear the beeping in the house, it's something else.

I hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler