Security & Fire Protection Systems/Verification documentation

Your article in the CFPOA year book brings me to ask which code are you referring to, when you refer to the contractor being in direct and flagrant violation for not providing documentation similar to CAN/ULC - S536-04 Appendix E.

NFC (National Fire Code) adopted Provincially (so check your version).  It's in Division B Section 6 of BCFC 2012.  Clause

"1) Fire alarm systems shall be inspected and tested in conformance with CAN/ULC-S536, 'Inspection and Testing of Fire Alarm Systems'."

The version you're required to use is in Division B Section 1 Table - CAN/ULC-S536-04.  This version's test reports are in Appendix "E".  In the next version of the Standard (-13 - just released) the test forms have been moved to Appendix "C" to harmonize with CAN/ULC-S537-13 and CAN/ULC-S561-13.

You can download the inspection forms at  You can also call me at the toll free number indicated at the top of each page!

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Frank Kurz

Questions relating to Burglar Alarm and Security Equipment, Fire Alarm and Extinguishment Systems, Access Control, CCTV Systems, Installation, Service, Testing, Verification

30 years installing, servicing, and testing security, access control, extinguishment, and fire alarm systems

Chair of ULC Working Groups for Fire Alarm Testing (CAN/ULC-S536) and Fire Alarm Verification (CAN/ULC-S537), Executive Director of the Fire Protection Technicians Network (

Publications, Better Business Bureau Magazine, Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia ( SUPPRESS! and Techs Fire Break Newsletters

Associate in Science; Emergency Systems (University of British Columbia); Aircraft Maintenance Technology (BCIT)