Security & Fire Protection Systems/moose z110

QUESTION: hi Dave. My moose has worked fine. But I went out of town for a couple days while repairmen worked on exterior of house. When I returned the alarm system thinks the kitchen windows are open. The windows were not opened and remained locked. I have tried resetting, cleaning the sensors with alcohol, opening and closing windows. Nothing has worked. Shunting still does not allow me to rearm. Reset and trying to rearm doesn't work. Ready to arm light refuses to go on. Can you help.  If not do you know who can repair?  Thank you.

ANSWER: Hello Cj, and thanks for your question.

I don't yest know whether I can help, and I have a few questions for you.

First, what kind of work were the repairmen doing to the exterior of the house?

Second, what kind of protection is on the kitchen windows (is it contacts to detect them being opened, vibration or glass-break sensor, or foil to detect broken glass, or both types)? If you could send a photo of the window from the inside, it would be helpful.

Third, is your bell or siren inside the house, or outside of the house?

Let me know, and I'll see whether we can fgure out what's going on.

Best Regards,

QUESTION: Thanks for getting back to me. They were replacing some bad wood around the sill but not where the contacts are. Sensor us magnetic contact when you open close window, located on the bottom of both windows. Tried a magnet to see if I could close the circuit with no success. Magnet works on garage interior door and beeps but no sound when I put it on the window frame contacts. Neither window.
Alarm siren (bell?) is in the attic I believe.
Other zones seem to be working and light or shunt.  Only kitchen shows on moose as being open. Thank you so much.

Thanks for the new information!

Because of the placement of the contacts at the bottom of the window, I suspect that the installers ran the wire from the bottom up, either from a crawlspace or basement.

Even though the sill replacement isn't exactly where the contacts are, it's possible (probable) that the interconnecting wiring was, and that they inadvertently damaged it.

It's possible that the vibration from the work somehow damaged one of the contacts, but I think that unlikely. Trying the magnet was a good chance, but you could verify for sure if you twist the two wires at each contact together. Bypass both at the same time in this manner. If the circuit doesn't clear then, it's positive that the wiring is damaged between the contacts and the control. If the circuit does clear, then you have a bad contact.

So what you likely need is a technician to take a look to verify how the wiring was run, and to fish new wire inside the wall to reconnect the contacts to the rest of the alarm circuit.

If you don't have a service provider for your system, you can find one at That's the website of the Electronic Security Association (formerly the National Burglar & Fire Alarm Association).

There's a search box at the upper left of the page where you can enter your ZIP code and find local dealers.

You may have to talk to a few before you find one that's willing to do a one-time job (most will try to sign you to a maintenance and/or monitoring contract).

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best Regards,

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler

The design and application of burglary and fire systems for homes and businesses. Helping alarm owners understand how their system works. Helping to troubleshoot false alarm problems. Questions about monitoring issues.

Over a quarter century in the industry. Experience in installation, service, and monitoring centers. Training manager for a national protective services company; director of education and training for a national trade organization for for alarm dealers.