Security & Fire Protection Systems/reporting codes

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dave,  I have the above problem and found this response on your website: 4. Unsuccessful Communication Attempt. If the digital communicator is unsuccessful at communicating with the
monitoring station after 8 attempts at each phone number, a
trouble is generated. (See section [15], Communication
Variables.) If a later attempt at communication is successful, the trouble will be cleared. The trouble can also be cleared by
pressing [#] to exit from trouble view mode. So every time the system tries to send data, this trouble will come back.

My Question is if my system is not hooked up to a phone line, will I have continual problems? Is it possible to use it as a passive, light flashing when doors open only system?  I've recently installed a new battery and the system was ok for about 6 hours and then began beeping late during the night and showed the code 4 error code.  Is there a solution to my problem?

thanks,

Larry Dietz

ANSWER: Hello Larry, and thanks for your question.

If the system was programmed for communication via a phone line, it will continually show trouble without that line.

The solution is to alter the programming of the system so that it's not looking for a phone line. For this, you will need the Installer's Code in order to access the programming. Below is a link to the installation/programming manual for your system.

Information of the Installer Code is on page 10.

If you have a viable Installer Code, the programming you need to change is in sections 12 and 13, as shown on page 14.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwizmv3X7OXJAhXBRSYKHVjaC4IQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alarmhow.net%2Fmanuals%2FAdemco%2FBranded%2520Panels%2FEmergency%2520Networks%2FPC1550%2520EMNET%2520Installation%2520Manual.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH4dE50u1M1md-1v312tVsY9f4Igg&bvm=bv.110151844,d.eWE&cad=rja

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Dave

QUESTION: Hi Dave,

Is it possible to make all the reporting codes 05 thru 10 to be 00 and the system will not send anything anywhere else and yet the green lights will still function when doors are opened?  I'm  getting the idea that this system constantly sends messages somewhere and since it's not plugged into a phone line, that's why I keep getting beeps after certain intervals??

Here's my limited knowledge of how this system works.  If you open a door or walk by the motion sensor, eventually the system will try to send a message somewhere.  As far as I know the system is not armed.  In our case the system will light the trouble light and start beeping.  Of course, I don't hear it due to hearing loss, but it wakes up my wife and son.  If I could disable the beeping, I wouldn't care about the trouble light coming on.  I know how to reset it.  What do you suggest that I do.  I also can unplug the ac to it and the battery and all goes out and stays silent.  At that point, I just have some junk hanging on the wall is a few places.  I'd rather not remove the alarm system if there's any way to make it work as a quiet passive system.

thanks,

Larry

ANSWER: Hello again, Larry ... no, you must be able to deactivate the communicator; it'll still try to dial out, and with no phone line, will not be successful, and that will cause another trouble condition.

Do you have access to programming via the Installer Code?

Best Regards, Dave

QUESTION: I was able to get into the programming and adjust 12 & 13 and then I accidentally adjusted something else unknown to me.  First time in to 12 & 13, I used the zero to do it all at once, but that left me with no working lights.  It was when I went back the second time that I accidently got into an area and messed it up.   So I read the manual some more and did a 30 which I thought would do a factory reset.  Now I have red lights on channels 2,3,4,and 5. Also it does not respond to the programming mode *8,1,2,3,4.  It will however respond to *6,1,2,3,4.  I found in the manual about shorting the ephrom, but I wouldn't be able to reprogram the whole system.  It kinda bares out the old adage, " a little knowledge is dangerous"  In hind sight, all that I would have needed to do was in 12 turn 1 on and 2 off and in 13 turn 1 off.  Prior to messing things up I was able to get into the programming mode by typing *8,1,2,3,4.  Do you have any suggestions.  I've also tried using *8 1,5,5,0.  Now that I've achieved the programmer rating of idiot, is there a way to straighten out this mess?

thanks,
Larry

Answer
Good morning Larry, and thanks for the additional information.

Unfortunately, you're in a difficult position. The "30" was indeed a factory reset, and this returns the panel to the same condition it was in when shipped. All of the system programming, including User Codes, have been erased. You pointed out the method to manually reset the EEPROM; this does the same thing as the "30" and is used if the Installer Code is unknown.

You found that the Default Master Code is 1-2-3-4. You'll now find that the Installer Code is 1-5-5-0.

You also mentioned that you wouldn't be able to reprogram the entire system -- and I agree that this is generally true for do-it-yourselfers. But that's the position you're in.

There are two possibilities. First, if the original installer left the programming sheets, you have all the information needed to reprogram the entire system. This would be a case of "no harm, no foul" because you mess up, you can just reset everything and try again.

If you don't have the programming sheets, that's a problem since the sheet is filled out based on the specific installation -- zone types and behaviors, delays, and the like -- and these things would be difficult for you to figure out.

So if you're stuck without programming data, the best bet is to hire a local technician to examine your installation, figure out what's what, fill out a programming sheet, and program the system for you.

You can find local dealers either in the phone book or by going to www.alarm.org (there's a finder by zip code there). Most will try to sell you a monitoring/maintenance contract, but if this is something you want to avoid, tell them you want it done as "T&M" or "Time and Material." If the dealer doesn't want to do that, move to the next, or ask if can privately hire one of their techs "on the side."

I hope this helps ... and best of luck.

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler