Security & Fire Protection Systems/CCTV cameras installation in exam centres.

QUESTION: Dear David

Do you recommend to install CCTV cameras hired on rental basis in exam centers of schools, colleges and institutions?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Greetings Prashant, and thanks for your question.

Please help me better understand your question.

Are you asking whether I recommend using CCTV in exam centers to detect or prevent cheating?

Or, are you asking whether it is better to rent such cameras as opposed to buying, installing, and maintaining them yourselves?

Whatever background information you could provide will be very helpful!

Best Regards,

QUESTION: Dear David

As I mentioned in exam centres to keep an eye on students writing the papers,will the CCTV cameras would be useful?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Thank you Prashant.

I do believe that the use of CCTV cameras in exam rooms will act as a deterrent to cheating. With that said, I think it important to set rules in place, like these;

1. The use of CCTV is not secret -- the students know that the exam room is monitored, and the examination is being recorded.

2. A clear explanation of what constitutes cheating is made before the exam begins.

3. A clear explanation of what the penalty for cheating is.

There are a few articles online that may be of interest; you may have already seen them, but I include the links here:

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler

The design and application of burglary and fire systems for homes and businesses. Helping alarm owners understand how their system works. Helping to troubleshoot false alarm problems. Questions about monitoring issues.

Over a quarter century in the industry. Experience in installation, service, and monitoring centers. Training manager for a national protective services company; director of education and training for a national trade organization for for alarm dealers.