Security & Fire Protection Systems/XLSTAR 4600 RM

I have a XL STAR 4600 RM and lately it has been beeping set or unset. The beeps are intermittent and sometimes will go for hours . Cannot find what the problem is but today I noticed when I pushed the Instant button it stopped. When I let go of the instant button it started beeping again.  Can you please help me with this problem.  

Thanks Joe

If the AC/Lo Bat light is pulsing in time to the sounder, then you'll have to replace the system's battery.  You can source a 12volt 4.5 or 5.0 AH sealed lead acid battery from Home Depot or Lowes.  Find your common control unit (the main box) and open it up.  You'll see the battery in the bottom of the enclosure with two leads coming from it.  One is "red" (positive) and the other is "black" (negative).  Make sure you connect the new battery to the right terminals!

In the interim you should be able to silence the annoying beeping by entering your code.

Good luck.

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Frank Kurz

Questions relating to Burglar Alarm and Security Equipment, Fire Alarm and Extinguishment Systems, Access Control, CCTV Systems, Installation, Service, Testing, Verification

30 years installing, servicing, and testing security, access control, extinguishment, and fire alarm systems

Chair of ULC Working Groups for Fire Alarm Testing (CAN/ULC-S536) and Fire Alarm Verification (CAN/ULC-S537), Executive Director of the Fire Protection Technicians Network (

Publications, Better Business Bureau Magazine, Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia ( SUPPRESS! and Techs Fire Break Newsletters

Associate in Science; Emergency Systems (University of British Columbia); Aircraft Maintenance Technology (BCIT)