Security & Fire Protection Systems/NAPCO GEM P800 and VOIP

Question
The subject system has worked fine for 14 years.  When I switched its dial-out line from copper to VOIP (AT&T) service it could no longer recognize the monitoring handshake--it keeps trying again and again without success.

Is there a keypad programming that will change its commo format to one compatible with VOIP?

Answer
Hello Hal, and thanks for your question.

The short answer is, "no." There's nothing programmable for your system that can make it compatible with VoIP. You'll need, at a minimum, some additional hardware.

Here's an article that gives some detail: http://www.safewise.com/home-security-faq/voip-security-systems

What you should do is contact your service provider or monitoring center, and let them know what you've done. They will be able to guide you.

There are do-it-yourself solutions, but I don't recommend them (just Google "alarm voip" and you'll find some). There are too many variables, and the best way is to have a qualified alarm technician do the work.

The two main issues are setting it up so that the alarm system can seize the VoIP line if it's in use, and to ensure that there's backup power for your router/modem so that it'll work during a power failure.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Dave  

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler