Security & Fire Protection Systems/Reset Code

Question
Dave:
I bought the house I live in about 15 years ago as the third owner.  The house is 20 years old.  I have a SecuityLink system by Ameritech.  The system was installed by the 1st owner who died without passing the code to the 2nd owner, who could pass nothing to me.  Every once in a while the alarm goes off.  I can silence it because it was not armed.  I have pushed numbers in random for years without any success.  Question, Yes there is a question, Is there ay way to get a reset code co I can put in my own code and use this thing before I die.  I have asked a couple local vendors (rural SW VA) but they are not interested in just a reset.  "How about a nice new system?".  Box in the basement says ADEMCO AM100  Thanks Jim

Answer
Hello Jim, and thanks for your question.

For ADEMCO panels, you can try this procedure to recover the Installer Code, from which you can program user codes for the system:

If you power down the whole panel by opening it up and taking off the AC power lead on the extreme left and disconnecting the battery then you can power it back up and get into programming. Power the panel back up by connecting the AC power back up to the extreme left terminal, plug in the battery and within 60 seconds go to the keypad and simultaneously push and hold the * and  # keys down until the display shows "20". If you get this then you are in programming.

Then push the # key and 20. This will display a four digit number one digit at a time. This then is the installer code. You can change this code by hitting the * key then 20 and entering in a new four digit number that you want as the installer code.

Once you know the installer code then hit *99 to back out of programming and you should then have your regular display. You can then go back into programming by entering your four digit code plus 800. After you do that you should get a "20". Once again back out of programming by hitting *99 to get your regular display.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Dave

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Dave Neuweiler