Security & Fire Protection Systems/False Alarms

Hi Frank,
Is it possible that bad wiring to a motion detector or a bad motion detector could be the cause of my problems? A few years ago, one of my two motion detectors (labeled zone 4) stopped working and I went under the house and found a bad wire splice leading to that unit. I've noticed for quite some time that the detector does not behave the same as the other unit (labeled zone 10). Based on it's red light, it is much less sensitive and goes off much quicker. I would suspect that a problem would call out the zone (zone 4) but I'm getting desperate for a solution.
Thanks again,
Juan Rodriguez

If it's "bad wiring" to a motion detector and, for example, the power drops out for a few seconds, the device will fail "safe" (in alarm), and you would get a zone indication in memory when you disarmed.  The problem you're describing more closely resembles a telephone line fault issue.  Years ago, DSC had a problem with a firmware update that nearly bankrupted several dealers that were installing DSC PC-3000 controls.  This could be a programming "glitch".  What you really help you now is to get a hold of a Full Alpha keypad for your system.  Then you can view the event log and find out what's causing this once and for all.  Do you have a dealer in your area that you can purchase one from?  They're fairly easy to install (basically replace one that you've already got).  You'll need access to programming to set the keypad address the same as the one you're replacing.

Security & Fire Protection Systems

Frank Kurz

Questions relating to Burglar Alarm and Security Equipment, Fire Alarm and Extinguishment Systems, Access Control, CCTV Systems, Installation, Service, Testing, Verification

30 years installing, servicing, and testing security, access control, extinguishment, and fire alarm systems

Chair of ULC Working Groups for Fire Alarm Testing (CAN/ULC-S536) and Fire Alarm Verification (CAN/ULC-S537), Executive Director of the Fire Protection Technicians Network (

Publications, Better Business Bureau Magazine, Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia ( SUPPRESS! and Techs Fire Break Newsletters

Associate in Science; Emergency Systems (University of British Columbia); Aircraft Maintenance Technology (BCIT)