Seeding and Propagation/how to germinate araucaria heterophylla seeds

Hi Tom,
I live in Los Angeles, CA. I need advice on how to germinate the seeds from my 36 years old araucaria heterophylla. I'd appreciate your advice.
By the way I have never than any gardening
Best regards,

Hi Joshua,
Thanx for your question.  I absolutely adore these trees and wish we could grow them where I live.  But, I'm in frosty, cold Kansas.  I lived in Hawai'i for several years and we were in Maui in 2010 and saw some fine specimens of this tree, the Norfolk Island Pine.  

Using compost or soil less mix, place the seed flat, on moist, not soggy planting medium and cover the pot or container with clear plastic.  Do not place in a window or the sun will cook the pot.  Place underneath a 40-watt shop light suspended 8 inches above the pot.  Keep moist and warm.  The seeds will germinate in 10-15 days.  When the seedlings are large enough to handle, gently prick them out and plant in separate pots.  When they are ready to go outdoors, place pots in a shady area for about 10 days to acclimatize the seedlings to the outdoors.  Then plant in full sun.  I hope this helps.

Seeding and Propagation

Tom Alonzo

I have been growing plants from seeds for at least 20 years. I have grown literally hundreds of different kinds of vegetables, trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, tropicals, some cacti, water plants, iris, rose, lilies, cannas, etc. I enjoy starting from seed.

I've been growing my own seeds for 20 years with indoor propagation equipment I built myself. I am also an Allexperts volunteer on the perennial forum. I have completed the Master Gardener course through the Kansas State University Extension. I have experience with a wide variety of seeds and I have also read through Norm Deno's books on seed germination.