Seeding and Propagation/Stone Seet

Stone 1
Stone 1  

Stone 2
Stone 2  
I found this stone type seed on a beach on Ocracoke Island this past summer.  It is slightly larger than a quarter, oval in shape, and flat on the bottom. It also has what appears to be a seam that runs 2/3 around the seed. Would you know what it might be?  I like to try to grow it, but haven't a clue how to.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Hi Dianne,
Thanx for your question.  Those seeds look like palm seeds.  Cabbage palm/sabal palm or dwarf palmetto seed.  Both are native to the SE part of North Carolina and some of the Outer Banks Islands.  You might consider showing the seeds to your local County Extension Horticultural Agent and s/he might be able to make a positive ID.  Additionally, seed from very far away can find itself washed up on the beaches of the Outer Banks.  Let me know if you want a contat for county extension by giving me your county.  I hope this helps.

Seeding and Propagation

Tom Alonzo

I have been growing plants from seeds for at least 20 years. I have grown literally hundreds of different kinds of vegetables, trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, tropicals, some cacti, water plants, iris, rose, lilies, cannas, etc. I enjoy starting from seed.

I've been growing my own seeds for 20 years with indoor propagation equipment I built myself. I am also an Allexperts volunteer on the perennial forum. I have completed the Master Gardener course through the Kansas State University Extension. I have experience with a wide variety of seeds and I have also read through Norm Deno's books on seed germination.