Seeding and Propagation/bismark palm seeds

Question
On the questions I have seen about planting bismark palm seeds I believe the seed needs to be removed from the hard pit inside the outer shell, meaning two layers of hard shell need to be removed leaving a seed about the size of a pea. Is this correct, and how long do the seeds need to dry after the three day soaking period?

Answer
Hi Brian,
Thank you for your question.  My experience has shown me that all I need to do is remove the fruit/pulp from the hard seed.  That doesn't mean that you absolutely must not go further and open the pit as long as one does not injure the embryo.  I do not have any experience going further than removing the fruit.  In reviewing data from the Internet regarding germination of the Bismarck palm, I haven't found anything that indicates one must open the pit.  Even though, I no longer live in palm tree country, I have grown many types of palm trees and cycads from seed. I think I did open a pit once on a particular variety of palm and they did germinate but I didn't notice it being quicker.  But, I'm not a scientist and have no scientific proof of that. If you have a method that is an improvement over mine and does not involve risk of injury to the embryo, I welcome you to share it.

After soaking the seeds, plant them immediately.  They don't need to dry and the point of soaking is to moisten the hard coat.  To allow it to dry again,  would defeat the purpose of soaking.  I hope this helps.
thx,
Tom

Seeding and Propagation

Tom Alonzo