Seeding and Propagation/Golden Chaintree

I have started some seed and they are only about 1 inch tall right now. I was wondering how big they should be before I plant them outside? Should I plant the pot with the plant in it or plant directly in the ground (I read that you should plant the pot in the ground the first year to protect the roots)

Aldora in Nova Scotia

Hi Aldora,
Thanx for your question.  Wait until the plant has its second set of true leaves.  Allow the soil to dry up just enough so that it remains intact when you remove the plant.  This way, you won't disturb the root.  You can take a knife and go around the inside of the pot around the soil to loosen it so it comes out in one big clump. Plant in a sunny location and protect from rabbits, dogs, etc.  Water it regularly and it should do fine.  I don't plant the pot in the ground unless it's a paper pot or a peat pot and I don't like to use peat pots.  They don't break down very well.  I hope this helps.

Seeding and Propagation

Tom Alonzo

I have been growing plants from seeds for at least 20 years. I have grown literally hundreds of different kinds of vegetables, trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, tropicals, some cacti, water plants, iris, rose, lilies, cannas, etc. I enjoy starting from seed.

I've been growing my own seeds for 20 years with indoor propagation equipment I built myself. I am also an Allexperts volunteer on the perennial forum. I have completed the Master Gardener course through the Kansas State University Extension. I have experience with a wide variety of seeds and I have also read through Norm Deno's books on seed germination.