Seeding and Propagation/Growing a lychee seed

Hi Tom. I have several lychee seeds that have rooted. So I have potted them in soil and watered them daily. It has been a month and a half and I have not seen any of them sprouting leaves. Are they alive? Have they been watered too much? I leave them out in the garden and so they get additionally rained upon. Also the pots are well - drained. Please help. Thank you.

Hi Jessie,
Thanx for your questions.  Fresh lychees will sprout in about 2 weeks.  You should have seen something sprout by now.  My guess is they were overwatered if you watered them every day.  The seeds require warm temperatures to germinate (75-85F/24-29C).  While you don't want the potting soil to be soggy, you  don't want it to dry completely out either.  So, you will have to monitor pots that are outdoors daily.  It shouldn't take a month for the seeds to sprout.  You may want to dig around carefully and see if the roots have rotted because I think that's what happened.  I hope this helps.

Seeding and Propagation

Tom Alonzo

I have been growing plants from seeds for at least 20 years. I have grown literally hundreds of different kinds of vegetables, trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, tropicals, some cacti, water plants, iris, rose, lilies, cannas, etc. I enjoy starting from seed.

I've been growing my own seeds for 20 years with indoor propagation equipment I built myself. I am also an Allexperts volunteer on the perennial forum. I have completed the Master Gardener course through the Kansas State University Extension. I have experience with a wide variety of seeds and I have also read through Norm Deno's books on seed germination.