Seeding and Propagation/Yucca

I cut the stem off my yucca while the pods were still green, can I still use the pod seeds when they turn brown.

It is always best when you allow the pods to fully mature on the plant when harvesting seed. Otherwise, the seed will not fully develop.

Since you have already cut the pods, you can certainly wait until they turn brown, but my concern would be whether the seeds matured enough to still be viable. What I would do is attempt to force 2 or 3 seeds to germinate by placing them in a dampened paper towel. If successful, you can plant the remaining seeds. If not, then either wait for more pods to form and brown, or purchase the seeds through a reputable seed company on line.

I hope this helps.  Good luck, and enjoy your weekend.

Seeding and Propagation

Mike Mascio

I have been an avid gardener since 1985 and an AllExpert volunteer since 1998. I specialize in soil preparation, seed starting and plant propagation, flowers, vegetables, and general landscaping. I am a strong advocate of the square foot method of gardening and the use of organic controls for pests and diseases.