Seeding and Propagation/Emerald Cedar Tree Cuttings

Question
I would like to try to grow these cedars from cuttings and i would appreciate any information on how to get started.
thank you

Answer
Patricia, cuttings are without a doubt the easiest method to propagate an existing plant.

Simply cut a tender shoot that is at least six inches long. Remove the lower sets of leaves. Dip the cutting in a rooting compound. You can purchase this product at any garden center. Stick the cutting one inch into a good potting mix. Be sure to thoroughly wet the soil prior to planting.

Finally, cover the pot with a clear piece of lightweight plastic. Place the pot in indirect sunlight on an east window sill or under fluorescent lighting. After two weeks, check to see if the plant has rooted by slightly pulling on the stem. If you feel resistance, remove the plastic covering and be sure to keep the soil moist. The plant should then be treated as any other seedling.

Good luck, and please write again if I can ever be of assistance.

Mike

Seeding and Propagation

Mike Mascio