Seeding and Propagation/Planting a Texas Olive Tree

What type of soil is best for the Texas Olive Tree?  I live in an area where the soil is very sandy.  Will the tree survive in this type of soil?

Hi Linda,
Thanx for your question.  The Texas Olive Tree (Cordia boissieri) will thrive in most soils as long as they are well draining.  If your soil is sandy, that should be fine.  This is a drought tolerant tree so it does well in the dryer, hotter parts of Texas, most notably along the Rio Grande River.  It will drop its leaves in the winter if the temperature falls below 20F for long periods of time.  It should stay leafy and green otherwise.  The fruit is slightly toxic although I have heard that a jelly is made from the fruit.  I don't know much about that so you might want to check with your local County Extension Agent on that.  If you are planting a young tree, I would water it periodically (once a week) to ensure good,steady development and development of extensive root system.  The extensive and deep root system is what is going to keep this tree alive in a free-draining, dry environment.  I hope this helps.

Seeding and Propagation

Tom Alonzo

I have been growing plants from seeds for at least 20 years. I have grown literally hundreds of different kinds of vegetables, trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, tropicals, some cacti, water plants, iris, rose, lilies, cannas, etc. I enjoy starting from seed.

I've been growing my own seeds for 20 years with indoor propagation equipment I built myself. I am also an Allexperts volunteer on the perennial forum. I have completed the Master Gardener course through the Kansas State University Extension. I have experience with a wide variety of seeds and I have also read through Norm Deno's books on seed germination.